This set of pages offers some things to consider as you make probably the most important decision of your trip—how to travel around the islands. It’s certainly not an exhaustive list, but it presents some issues I came across in our trip or in talking with other people about their experiences. Should you do a live-aboard cruise or a land-based tour with day trips to various islands? What kind of things should you think about when considering all of the options for live-aboard cruises? Assuming you can’t get to all of the islands, what islands are best known for unusual species? What about other “must see” aspects of the islands? Keep in mind these are just my opinions and our experiences, mixed with some of what I’ve learned from other people. Perhaps these points will help you to think about what’s really important to you on your trip.
I cover these topics on the pages here. You can use the page numbers at the bottom of this page to skip around to the various topics.
- Land-based travel or a naturalist cruise? (p. 2)
- Some general cruise considerations (p. 3)
- Some more specific cruise considerations (p. 4)
- The cruise itself (p. 5)
- A spreadsheet to help you choose an itinerary (p. 6)
- Choosing a boat (p. 7)
- Unique species by island (p. 8)
- Other island specialties (p. 8)